Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Birdcage Stand 101

We have been wanting to build a stand for our pigeon Grace, and today I decided to git-r-done... First I went to Lowes and spent 2-3 hours on deciding what materials to buy. Option 1 buy mostly precut wood and assemble it, cost came out to nearly $80. Option 2 buy a 2"x4"x8", 2'x2'x1/4" piece of oak, and a 2'x4'x1/2" piece of oak, cost about $14....... Deciding.... Still deciding..... got some pieces of wood in my cart.... put the pieces of wood back.... looked around.... put some different pieces of wood in my cart.... put those back.... walked around some more.... Looked at tools.... Decided to go with option 1 and buy a circular saw. Next I had to get screws, and wouldn't you know I started the process all over again in terms of finding screws. I really think next project I will not only make a design but also plan on the materials and assembly devices before hand.

So I get home about noon and decide I will get started right away, my first thought was to cut 4 1x1x36" strips for the legs. First time to use a circular saw I tried my first cut at the 36" mark. I got almost all the way through and it got stuck so being careful I stopped to check it out. Just about a 1/4" corner piece still attaching the 2 pieces so I tried again but this time the 2x4 shook violently and shot up large chunks of wood. I then turned the board over and cut from the other end and it fell to the ground... My heart was pounding with visions of me cutting my hand off or having my eye gouged by flying wood chips. I decided at this point to call it quits, I was having no more of this. If you have ever seen me play guitar hero on hard or expert than I exhibit this type of tirade quite often when things are new or difficult. 

I went back inside ate my lunch, about which time Naomi called and I spilled the beans about my horrific experience. Then I took a nap... zzzz....zzzz....zzzz. Then I decided I would try again. But no way was I cutting the 2x4 length wise they would just have to do as is. So I started up about 2:30pm and the boys came home about 4 and of course were interested for a while and then left to be more entertained watching noggin or playing wii. I finally finished up about 6pm after coming up with a last minute solution to adding a shelf.

Hear are the Pictures


No comments: