Monday, January 7, 2008

Yay!

Today was exciting! I got my first e-mail from a potential employer that saw my resume' on my vet school website (Hire a K-State Grad)! Sometime soon, I hope to have a phone chat with them. I continue to search for the right job that I KNOW is out there for me. Although I am still unsure of what I want to do, I am keeping an open mind and exploring all of my options (small animal, large animal, mixed, birds, cattle, horses, government (i.e. USDA), industry).

In light of my many options and all the indecision surrounding them, I feel compelled to conduct an unofficial poll. :-) Please comment back with your answer to the following 2 questions: 1. If you were a veterinarian, what kind would you like to be? 2. If I were a veterinarian, what kind do you think I would I be?



On a different subject not quite so self-centered...

All of us like to contribute to good causes. Well, I found one that is great! The best part is, you can contribute without spending a penny or any more time than about a minute a day. Go to
this site and click where it says "Click to Give" and the sponsors will contribute...all based on the number of clicks! Across the top of the page there are other sites (Hunger, Child Health, Literacy, Rainforest, and Animal Rescue) where you can do the same "Click to Give" with only giving a few moments of your time to make a difference in this world.

3 comments:

Gammy said...

1. I think I'd like small animals.

2. I believe you should test the waters with all animals then after getting your feet wet in the field choose the one that works with you.

Being a family member I know you will be a great Vet. Just get your feet wet then you will see where you are to be. Who knows you may be the best all animal Vet any clinic has ever had. We love you so very much and are proud of you and the rest of your family Love You Naomi, Willy

Nikki said...

1. Ok so snakes are out right off the top. :) I want to say I'd like dogs and cats the best since I'm the most familiar with them (not that I know much) but I'm not sure I could deal with the emotional side of telling families what was wrong with their sick animal. Can I do only well visits? :)

2. That's a tough one. Like Willy I think you'd be great at anything but I can actually see you interacting with people really well in a small animal vet clinic. I think you have the patience and understanding for talking to people about how to care for their animals and such and it seems to me that you'd have much more opportunity to do that with a vet clinic instead of industry or government. However, having said that, I seem to remember you saying that you enjoyed the physical part of large animals the most so that leads me to think you should go in that direction or at least a mix of both large and small.

I'm rambling. It has to be a tough decision! Does one type provide better pay or schedule flexibility? Not that you should decide the rest of your life based on money, but schedule might be important at least for the next couple years until the boys are both off to school. Can you see yourself in one option or another for the next 5, 10, 20, 30 years? Again, not that you can't switch but maybe it helps to imagine if you'd get bored doing inspections after 5 five years or something.

I didn't help at all, did I? Sorry :)

mrm said...

So, I'm not officially a Dean but i hope its still ok that I post comments too.

So I hope your goats don't get bit by a rattlesnake but if they should I'm glad it is the goat and not the kids, or you again, Nermal.

And...I want 2 come C U soonish. We might b going 2 Chicago sometime and I think you should drive and meet us there. Because 10 hour long car rides are great fun with little boys! :D

Bye 4 Now! Mirm